Sunday 27 November 2011

'David Walliams - and Londoners - deserve a better river'

Found the site of the Friends of the Earth for something else, and thought that perhaps they could have also made some complaints about the issue of the 'super sewer'. I searched the site and yes, there it is, Helen Dunk wrote on the 13th September about it. However, I was somehow pretty dissapointed. She complained about the poor state of the river, something that I think is unquestionable, but she failed to make any comments about the causes that have led to this situation, or suggestions on how to tackle the problem. Well, I could not resist it and wrote to Friends of the Earth in the following terms:


'I have read the entry that Helen Dunk made the 13th September on David Williams attempt to swim the river Thames earlier in the year. She is asking for urgent action to clean up the river to the standards we deserve. There is a project that I'm sure she will be aware of that will  supposedly  prevent partially the contamination of our river with raw sewage  and that is the so called 'Thames Water Super Sewer'. Well  I'm against it for the reasons that I describe in my blog http://notosupersewer.blogspot.com. However  I feel really puzzled with the idea of being the only person in London opposed to the super sewer project on the basis that it will not solve the issue of recycling our own human waste. Has anyone within Friends of the Earth ever suggested this question before? If not  what are your views on this issue?"


Their response:


'Dear Mr
Thank you for your email.
We do not have a specific line on this subject.
I have passed on the information for the attention of our London campaigner.
Warm wishes
Steve Cain | Supporter Information Team'


Ahh (sigh), do I ever feel like the lone ranger?

No comments:

Post a Comment