Sunday 12 February 2012

My little contribution


Following the ideas and instructions that can be found in the web page of the Humanure Handbook (http://humanurehandbook.com/), I thought that rather than just talk about it, I would do something about it. And this is what I did. My own 'Loveable Loo'. Pretty weird I must admit, as to do your business in a bucket with no water (just sawdust/ wood shavings) feels rather odd at the beginning (my kids are still refusing to use it), although one get use to it and now I even prefer it there!. The waste we generate is taken to my allotment where I am composting it in the same manner as described by Joseph Jenkins in one of the videos in his Humanure web pages.

Anyway, this is just an example of an alternative to the traditional water flushed loo. Easy to do, not very expensive, and that with the extra bonus of creating a very valuable compost. It may not be convenient for everyone, as you need a way to dispose of the waste, and not everyone has got an allotment or even a garden big enough for a proper compost heap, but the concept is there: stop throwing away a valuable resource which is, on the other hand, contaminating our waterways. Would anyone ever consider this as an valid option?

No comments:

Post a Comment